Song Cycle Concert Celebrating Daniel Solander
Experience the World Premiere of an exciting new Australian composition. SOLANDER, a musical celebration of the great Swedish botanist, Daniel Solander (1733-1782) who accompanied Cook on his first Pacific voyage. It will be performed by the Sydney Chamber Choir directed by Sam Allchurch. Composer Kate Reid, text and lyrics Rodney Fisher and Kate Reid, narrator John Gaden.
SATURDAY 12TH FEBRUARY 2022
THE GOVERNORS CENTRE,
558 CLEVELAND STREET,
MOORE PARK 2021
I was first drawn to the story of Daniel Solander, the highly acclaimed Swedish botanist and talented linguist, after many visits to Sweden, where I had the opportunity to appreciate the diversity of its people, the splendid landscape and the extreme winters – vastly different from the world that I was used to on the other side of the earth. This song cycle is written in celebration of Solander’s important contribution to scientific discovery and the great courage and commitment it demanded from him.
It begins with Solander’s childhood in the north of Sweden. It opens with a gentle reference to the indigenous people of northern Sweden, the Sami, singing a lullaby. It goes on to follow him on his two-year journey to Australia on the Endeavour as an assistant to Joseph Banks in 1768. It concludes with a farewell to Solander, where we hear the same Sami motif return in the final bars.
There are seven movements for a combination of voices, ranging from two soloists to a full SATB choir. The only instrument is a vibraphone. The movements are linked by a narrative spoken by John Gaden. Rodney Fisher has provided the beautiful narrative and many of the lyrics.
I have been moved to respond to Solander’s life story and to acknowledge, through my music, this extraordinary individual whose work, in spite of its significance and its relevance here, remains relatively unknown in Australia today.
- Paradise Lost – Daniel Solander’s Legacy – art exhibition touring Australia in 2020-2021
- The past year with the Swedish Council of New South Wales (SCONSW)
- Swedish Australian Innovation Technology and Design Summit 28-29 September at the University of Technology Sydney
- Hilma af Klint The Secret Paintings – Coming to Sydney Art Gallery NSW 12 June – 19 Sept 2021
- Business & Investment Trends between Australia & Sweden
Latest posts by Camilla Jennings (see all)
- Svenskar i Världens Nyhetsbrev – maj 2023 - 17/05/2023
- Eurovision Song Contest 2023 – Live Broadcast Party 14 May in Hurtsville - 08/05/2023
- Svenskar i Världens Nyhetsbrev - 08/05/2023
Lämna ett svar